MSAC Meeting Minutes: February 2017

Meeting of the Motorcycle Safety Advisory Council
Wednesday 2 February 2017, SenateSHJ, Dimension Data House, Wellington, 9.00am – 3.30 pm

14 Feb 2017

Present:

Mark Gilbert (MG) – Chair, Janice Millman (JM), Jo Buckner (JBu), David Golightly (DG), David White (DW), Alan Petrie (AP), Johan Bosch (JBo), Andrew Darrell (AD)

Secretariat:

Tracey Bridges (TB), Harriet Palmer (HP) SenateSHJ; Tracey Jury (TJ) SenateSHJ (minute taker)

Visitors:

Stu Ross (SR), David Kielty (DK) ACC; 

Apologies:

Nil


1.0 Welcome, updates and administration

1.1 Chair’s welcome and overview of agenda

  1. Interests register noted. MG reminded members to review and update register.
  2. Updates to be made by DG and AP.

1.2 Correspondence since last meeting

  1. Correspondence is up to date.
  2. Council discussed a motorcyclist inquiry about establishing safety investigation for motorcycle crashes, similar to a model adopted by the aviation industry.

1.3 Confirmation of last meeting’s minutes

  1. Minutes proposed by MG, seconded by AP, carried by all.

1.4 Review of actions

  1. All items were completed or covered by the meeting’s agenda.
  2. Council discussed media and website content opportunities, indicating that MSAC should seek to have regular content in motorcycle media.

1.5 Member roundtable: other actions or updates since last meeting

  1. JBu noted she is receiving good feedback about Ride Forever training from riders and people are supportive of MSAC.
  2. Council discussed visiting motorcyclists and tourist operators that offer motorcycle rentals and tours. This was identified as a potential risk area that the Council would like to raise with government partners. Members felt visiting riders were an emerging safety issue.
  3. DW has been liaising with Porirua City Council about its regular motorcycle safety messages and will update Council at April meeting about these discussions.
  4. DG noted early figures indicate 2016 was one of the worst years for traffic fatalities and serious road crashes. 40 – 60 year old motorcyclists who have lost control are over-represented in these figures.

1.6 Secretariat report

  1. Secretariat noted tabled report, and asked Council if there were any questions or comments that they would like to raise.
  2. The secretariat has organised Council name badges for Council members to use during their community engagement. The badges are currently being produced and will be ready later in the week.
  3. Council discussed attendance at events and noted they would like to be informed if ACC are attending events that are relevant to MSAC.
  4. Members will inform secretariat about relevant events they are attending so MSAC involvement is well planned and aligns with strategic goals.
  5. Council also discussed working with organisers of relevant events to see if Z Cards can be provided as event collateral.

1.7 Communications and engagement

  1. HP noted the holiday road media coverage focused on the holiday road toll. There was also coverage on the issue of forward facing license plates, the Motorcycle Safety Levy and motorcycle safety.
  2. HP noted that crash coverage continued to dominate motorcycle coverage, but MSAC had featured in positive coverage about the Motorcycle Route Survey results and in an op-ed by MG on motorcycle safety
  3. New content continues to be added to the website, and Google Analytics show content is being increasingly read. .
  4. Council discussed Google Analytics of website and asked if SenateSHJ could be granted access to enable more detailed analysis of the website performance. 

1.8 Actions:

  1. Advise ACC that Council see visiting riders as an emerging issue in motorcycle safety and suggest ACC consider liaising with Worksafe or relevant authority to highlight this issue (SSHJ).
  2. Send JB, DW and DG Z cards to use for engagement (SSHJ).
  3. Approach organisers of Paeroa Races to see if there is an opportunity for Z Cards to be handed out (SSHJ).
  4. Work with SSHJ to present detailed Google Analytics at each Council meeting (ACC).
  5. Inform Council (with sufficient leadtime) of attendance at any relevant events and support MSAC by distributing Z Cards, if appropriate (ACC).

2.0 Rider engagement initiative

AP and JM presented the idea of Motorcycle Safety Summit as a priority initiative for MSAC to recommend to ACC.

  1. The Motorcycle Safety Summit was identified as a cross-sector event which brings together all stakeholders that are managing or are involved in the motorcycle safety agenda, including motorcyclists.
  2. The summit would provide an opportunity to consult with the sector about safety initiatives. It was noted the idea was timely because of the high number of motorcycle deaths in 2016.
  3. Two options were presented. The first option was for ACC to hold a three-day symposium styled event. The second option was to request a coronial report on motorcycle safety and to establish a Motorcycle Safety Summit and Motorcycle Safety Panel to form recommendations on improving motorcycle safety.
  4. Council supported the first option, though suggested that the format and length could change.
  5. Council suggested that the summit could coincide with the National Motorcycle Show in Auckland in September. This was identified as relevant because of the high number of motorcycle crashes in the Auckland region.
  6. Council discussed progressing this initiative to the next stage by engaging with ACC to discuss this proposal.

2.1 Actions:

  1. Amend proposal based on feedback from Council (AP/JM).
  2. Prepare investment process template and send to MG and SSHJ by Friday 10 February (AP/JM).
  3. Arrange a meeting with ACC, MG, AP and JM to discuss initiative (MG).
  4. Send paper about motorcycle crash numbers in Auckland to SSHJ (JM).

3.0 Training initiative

DG and AD led a discussion on rider training.

  1. Council discussed Ride Forever and highlighted that the training initiative could extend beyond Ride Forever, and include other forms of training and rider education.
  2. Council would also like to see initial results of Ride Forever programme.
  3. Council discussed available international research on rider training, and would like more access to available research.

3.1 Actions:

  1. Prepare a presentation about the rider training initiative and circulate to Council for feedback by 17 February (DG/AD)
  2. Present Ride Forever results and plan for growth of programme at April meeting (ACC)
  3. Source rider training research completed in other jurisdictions from ACC and circulate to Council (SSHJ)

4.0 Report from ACC

SR and DK updated the Council on ACC activities and initiatives in motorcycle safety.

4.1 Ride Forever

DK noted that there are now six Ride Forever providers. ACC are expecting to reach target of offering 5,000 places.

  1. There has been a rise in the number of people undergoing training over January.
  2. ACC would like to engage with Council about ideas to progress training initiatives
  3. The Ride Forever social media campaign (#BeABetterRider) has been successful and has generated positive conversations about training. The Ride Forever Facebook page has 1000+ likes and posts from the page are reaching 80,000+ people. The final challenge will be posted in mid-February and the campaign will finish in mid-March.
  4. The design process for developing Ride Forever and expanding it in 2017/2018 is currently underway. This includes the possibility online training modules.

4.2 Forward investment approach

ACC presented its forward investment approach, highlighting key focus areas for the 2017/2018 financial year and detailing spend on motorcycling safety initiatives across the five pillars of the joint MSAC/ACC strategy.

Council discussed the importance of data with ACC and agreed that DW should continue to work with ACC to progress this initiative.

  1. ACC made a correction to December’s meeting presentation, noting levy submissions had decreased since the last submission period. Council expressed an interest in submissions directly related to the Motorcycle Safety Levy.
  2. ACC noted there will be increased spending of the Motorcycle Safety Levy in 2017/2018. Total planned spend is $6.45m, with 3.6m going to rider training.
  3. ACC discussed investment in roads and roadsides ($0.15m for the 2017/2018 financial year).Council expressed for an update on these initiatives at the April meeting.

4.3 Update on summer advertising campaign results and events

ACC updated Council on the progress of both summer campaigns currently in the market.

  1. ACC reported the #BeABetter Rider and ‘See a Bike, Save a Life’ summer advertising campaigns had gone well.
  2. Council asked ACC to circulate the Transport Agency guidelines to SSHJ and MG.

4.4 ACC motorcycle actions

ACC has developed an outline of all actions to be completed in the motorcycle safety programme. ACC presented this plan to Council and sought feedback.

  1. Council noted ACC’s proposed actions do not cover the ‘human factors’ strategic pillar. Council would like ACC’s proposed actions to address all five pillars, to make sure that actions reflect the joint strategy between ACC and MSAC.
  2. ACC would like to work with MSAC to develop the motorcycle safety action plan and will circulate this document to Council once it is complete.
  3. ACC noted any initiative that is related to motorcycle safety may be paid for by the Motorcycle Safety Levy.

4.5 Actions:

  1. Work with ACC on rider training initiative (DG/AD).
  2. Include a distinction between claims from current financial year and ongoing claims when reporting to MSAC (ACC).
  3. Advance discussion re Single Source of Truth with ACC and report back at April meeting (DW).
  4. Send SSHJ collated levy submissions relevant to the MSL for April meeting (ACC).
  5. Circulate updated motorcycle safety actions to Council at April meeting (ACC).
  6. Meet with all three MSAC working groups to discuss identified priority initiatives (DK/SR).

5.0 Rider safety rating initiative

JBo and DW presented ideas to advance the Rider Safety Rating initiative, based on international approaches and systems already implemented by the insurance industry.

  1. JBo and DW proposed that Council consider a flexible framework.
  2. The Rider Safety Rating would look at what makes a rider safer, for example completion of training
  3. Council raised the importance of consulting with riders and capturing near misses in the rating, not just reported crashes. Council discussed that this would be challenging to reflect accurately.
  4. Council agreed to put forward a proposal for a detailed literature review into the subject of Rider Safety Ratings.

5.1 Actions:

  1. Prepare investment process template for Rider Safety Rating initiative literature review and send to MG/SSHJ before 17 February 2017 (JBo/DW)

6.0 Shared workspace workshop

Council discussed the Shared Workspace and decided that it should be used to house MSAC material and to enable consistent communication with each other.

Council agreed that SenateSHJ and DW will work together to update the Shared Workspace.

6.1 Actions

  1. Share any research that should be uploaded to the Shared Workspace with SenateSHJ (All Council).
  2. Upload all relevant documents to the Shared Workspace (DW/SSHJ)
  3. Arrange RealMe logins to enable access (Council)

7.0 Summary of discussion and actions

Council discussed location of next meeting and asked SenateSHJ to explore other locations.

7.1 Actions:

  1. Work with ACC to explore other locations for 5 April meeting (SSHJ)

8.0 Close and date of next meeting 

The meeting closed at 3.30pm. The next meeting is scheduled for 5 April 2017.